I come from a long line of sign writers and am happiest with a brush and some paint! Add
paint to fabric and I get really excited!!

Friday, June 13, 2014

Time well spent!

The south western shores of Nova Scotia are breathtakingly beautiful, especially at this time of year.
I recently had the pleasure of taking in a few sights along the shore with my daughter as I begin to learn the ways and habits of not working every day. Mind you, I did have my chores that kept me busy enough while visiting! I had a quilt to bind, and blocks to make, and some piecing to plan. And on what would have been my Mom’s 79th birthday, I tried 4 new recipes and each one was a success! 

One of my daughter’s co-workers gifted us with a huge bag full of fresh rhubarb, all in exchange for tips on picking and caring for his patch. Then came the big decision as to what to make! Rhubarb muffins, rhubarb crisp, cobbler, stewed rhubarb, strawberry rhubarb pie, oh my! A chance trip to the grocery store where ceramic loaf pans were on sale for what we felt was a dirt cheap price, made us decide loaves would be a good idea. I started flipping through recipes online and having faith in Canadian Living Magazine recipes, chose Rhubarb Loaf which conveniently makes two loaves, so one for us and one for the kind owner of the rhubarb patch. Be aware though, this recipe has soooo much sugar in it, it is not the healthiest choice, though most definitely a very tasty treat!


With still more rhubarb chopped, it was on to another Canadian Living recipe, Rhubarb Almond Crumble Squares...oh dear. If you like date squares, this is a must try! Again, lots of sugar, but all we rhubarb lovers know that is the price you pay for cooking with this fruit. This recipe is actually a bit more labour intensive than I am used to making in the past while, but again, I was trying to embrace the idea of being on my own schedule. When Simone walked in the door after work, the look on her face as she smelled the sweet aroma was well worth all my efforts. 

We also had an idea that a strawberry rhubarb combination needed to be included, so I made Rhubarb Strawberry Scones, but I used milk instead of heavy cream. Another delicious choice!

The fourth recipe tried that day was Kale and Quinoa Patties. We fell in love with these yummy burgers! So delicious and so worth making again and again! We did discover later that they are best reheated in the frying pan and not the oven, as they tend to dry out and become too crispy in the oven.


The sun was shining and though we had plans for a bike ride, the wind was just too wild for us that day. So, off we went to find a beach for a walk, with a pan of hot crumble and two forks, knowing that Mom would find this a perfectly suitable way to celebrate her birthday.


As is the norm in this area, the fog started to roll and when it rolls, it comes quickly, but we still managed a walk before we had to give in and get out of the damp wind. Besides, we did have that hot crumble in the car!

On Saturday we headed to the local Farmer’s Market where we tried even more scones - can you tell there is weakness here? And then we found me some more of this delicious coffee at the Natural Food Market.

Another great pastime is “antiquing” and I am one who loves to put all good things to use over and over! We visited four stories of antiques, 90% of which I could identify, own, or have seen in my family’s homes. Simone also tends to love the workmanship and intrigue of antiques and uses her Great Aunt’s dishes and her Grandmother’s silver daily, has her Great Grandmother’s table and chairs as her kitchen set and regularly collects new to her items for her home (Especially hats! Grandma June's granddaughter for sure!). One lovely purchase Simone made recently was with me in mind and I was the lucky one who came home with these beauties to use in my kitchen!

10 comments:

  1. You take the best pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer Scantlebury VienneauJune 13, 2014 at 8:51 PM

    Thanks, Marjorie! I love sharing the good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the South shore! I spent much time growing up in the area and now my son lives in Lunenburg.
    I think that was a lovely way to celebrate your mom's birthday.
    My rhubarb patch is flourishing too. So far I've frozen some and made muffins and loaf. It is so good, but you're right, it requires some sugar. I love rhubarb strawberry pie too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lovely, relaxing time. Wouldn't mind a cup of Sissiboo right now. I must try that quinoa recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful photos and these recipes will come in handy! Thank you for sharing this special time with your readers! Love quinoa and will definitely be making that one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer Scantlebury VienneauJune 14, 2014 at 1:52 PM

    Nova Scotia is so lovely, isn’t it, Holly! Honestly, all the Maritimes are and anywhere near the water has a special place in my heart. I came home to a very small crop of rhubarb in my yard -so far just enough for a batch of muffins. The wild raspberries tend to take over and choke my plants out, but I manage to get enough for a taste each year. Also a lover of the pie...I am a baked goods junky!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jennifer Scantlebury VienneauJune 14, 2014 at 1:56 PM

    Sissiboo is sooo delicious! I only drink decaff and it is hard to find a dark roast that satisfies me. Do try the quinoa patties-they were excellent! I recommend using fresh grated parmesan cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jennifer Scantlebury VienneauJune 14, 2014 at 1:57 PM

    Thanks, Lorette! Do make - what am I saying? lol -share the recipe with Bill so he can make the patties..they are delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting post , love your photos send will have try those recipes , they sound great !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jennifer Scantlebury VienneauJune 18, 2014 at 11:49 PM

    Thanks so much, Sheila! I even made the loaf recipe again, this time in muffins and they were delicious!

    ReplyDelete