I come from a long line of sign writers and am happiest with a brush and some paint! Add
paint to fabric and I get really excited!!

Thursday, November 14, 2013

House of Yards

Talk about irons in the fire. I have a quilt on my longarm. I have a top waiting for the borders to be added. And this is a simple quilt so the borders will be simple, yet I still haven’t managed to get them sewn on. Then I have to quilt it. And bind it. And I have a bunch of other projects that I want to do/need to do/ would rather be working on that will just have to wait until I find more time.




I know I will get everything done. I work best when I have a lot on my plate. But, I also realize that I am taking over the house once again. 

My longarm takes up part of the back end of our living room, sitting nestled close to my spin bike and our treadmill. Somewhere in my craziness, I brought up my ironing board and iron and they are still next to my machine. This weekend I didn’t want to hide away from my husband so I moved one of my domestics upstairs to the dining room (yes, our house layout is unusual - our kitchen and dining room are on the second floor). The machine is there still and  is kept company by a growing pile of fabric and tools. I have batts lying on the stairs heading to the third floor. I have a pile of Kroy yarn I just ordered also in the dining room. I have a wicker purse of my Mom’s filled with socks needing mates knit and half socks I need to finish that I carry from room to room. I have stacks of quilting books in our bedroom. I have taken over a closet upstairs for batts (I know my hubby reads my blog occasionally so now he knows where I have tucked them!). And of course, I have an entire room downstairs devoted to fabric, machines, materials and tools..

I don’t think there is anything quilt or fabric related in either bathroom. Or in the garage.

Sometimes I feel kind of bad about claiming so much space for my passions. I try not to do this because sometimes it overwhelms me, too. But, when who you are is so intertwined with creating, this happens. I am fortunate that I share my living space with a man who appreciates what I do and can be counted on for subjective advice just when I need it. Of course, he has no idea that “must be creative” was part of my criteria for finding my soul mate!

All this fibre action means I should connect to The Needle and Thread Network this week.

10 comments:

  1. It all sounds familiar, Jennifer. We had a laugh one day when my husband walked into the bathroom and found paint brushes on the counter. He said, "ok, that's it, now you've got something in every room!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Jennifer....I am the same; get more done if very busy. I just finished my last one for a customer for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My MIL used to say: "If you want something done, ask a person who is busy"! I believe it! Sounds like you fit the bill... As for spreading your stuff around the house, it sounds like change is good for the soul and the creative mind! Go for it! YOU live there too... I totally understand not wanting to be "alone"... perhaps he'll get interested and start sewing with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW: Great job on that quilt...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to know I am not the only one who takes over space!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Marjorie! And good for you finishing up before December even arrives! You are a more organized woman than me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, my Mom used to say the same thing! And I don’t think Rej’s role will anything but supportive! He told us yesterday that once he retires, he won’t be standing around watching me sew/quilt! Which is a good thing - I can look forward to working away on my projects guilt free!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And thanks! It is off the machine and trimmed. Whew! It was a big one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You don't have the right attitude: imagine you'd be trailing clothes, or make up, or your passion where many small yappy dogs ... compared to that you seem the perfect house mate . ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. All good points, Regina! Thanks for reminding me that maybe I am not so bad to live with after all! haha

    ReplyDelete