I come from a long line of sign writers and am happiest with a brush and some paint! Add
paint to fabric and I get really excited!!

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Charity quilt

This is one of the tops I recently quilted for our local quilt charity group, the Monday Marvels. I thought it would be a lovely fresh quilt perfect for a young girl, so when I unrolled the fabric meant for the backing, I hopped in the car and headed to the fabric store where I purchased another piece that I thought more suitable. The group works within their means, using donated materials so I knew they would be fine with me making a substitution.
The top was pieced by a local quilter and was a breeze to work with. I am not sure if the tops she donates are her class samples, but it is so nice to see well made tops of appealing fabrics used for charity quilts. Good on her, I say!

I used a cornflower blue 30 wt thread on the top and a natural bobbin thread to quilt a simple flower pantograph. I think it has turned out fairly well and will be a beautiful quilt once the binding (which was donated as well and is the same fabric as the outer border) is sewn on.

I have to confess, and you can probably tell, the colors of this quilt appear different in each photo. I have been chasing the sun and shadows around my house, trying to find the ideal time and location for taking photos. The top photo shows the true colors of this quilt. Eventually I find the most opportune spot and time.....


2 comments: