I come from a long line of sign writers and am happiest with a brush and some paint! Add
paint to fabric and I get really excited!!

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Feature Friday on The Needle and Thread Network


Today I am the Feature Friday blogger The Needle and Thread Network! I really appreciate having this Canadian based network available and it is a pleasure to have been asked to introduce myself via this platform. 

These days seem to be a time for reflection as life moves far too quickly for my liking so I focused my choice of photos on pieces I have created using my children’s artwork as my source of design. I thought I would include a few more photos of our collaborations here. 

My daughter’s version of a moose nibbling a tree. 

The finished designs are always true to the original drawings, but I do take liberties with the fabric choices. These creatures are fused to some hand dyed fabric, then satin stitched, and I have added embellishments with sculpty clay and dimensional paint.
The outer rows are all drawings by my children. My favorites are my daughter’s witch and cat on broomsticks and my son’s skeleton, although the “Willing to Boo” is very clever and how can you not like an invisible man?

I have an incredible morgue of Gabe and Simone’s drawings and I doubt if I will ever tire of using them as inspiration. I so enjoy the freedom of thought behind their artwork. It always amazed me how relaxed they were about drawing and how they could sit and transfer their ideas to paper so quickly. I don’t recall erasers ever being used. That kind of confidence is what I aspire to.

8 comments:

  1. Rtquilter.blogspot.comSeptember 21, 2012 at 12:32 AM

    More great kids' art! I forgot to tell you that my daughter's little drawings are on my blog under the heading " All The Guys" so you can find it. It is at the bottom of the page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get another chance at whimsical art with the grand kiddies clamouring to join me in my playroom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you so much for steppin up to be featured! It was so great to meet you. I hope you enjoyed all the comments. : )

    ~Monika

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will definitely check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, lucky you!! To have a source of more childrens’ artwork.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the opportunity, Monika! And it was great to get some feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does your family still live in PEI? Maybe I'll see them at the craft fair!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They do still live there so you never know!

    ReplyDelete